Wednesday, April 15, 2015

DIY Nursery, Part II

I remember when I first started Pinterest planning my little baby's nursery. We didn't know gender yet but I knew I wanted it to be more on the gender neutral side. We weren't painting and we aren't allowed adhesives on the walls, so it was up to me to get creative.
Well, I ran across this beautiful crib set on Etsy. My gosh I still love it BUT, it was a bit more than I was willing to pay. I sat on the thought for weeks and weeks until I finally decided to take a note from a crafty friend of mine, Jordan. I decided that I should just make my own crib skirt, I could attempt the sheet (or just buy it) and go with mesh bumpers because they were safer anyway!
So, that's exactly what I did. I mainly used THIS tutorial but I wanted it to be more adjustable like THIS one.
I began by measuring length and width of the crib sides and doing a little math to figure out just how much fabric I needed to purchase. I had created a little inspiration page with a photo of my favorite fabric from the Etsy listing and some mental notes on how I wanted to do the colors for each piece of the crib set, along with another little idea I had in mind.
I ended up purchasing an orange fabric with cooky wite polka dots from Hobby Lobby. The fabric stores out here are VERY minimal. Hancock's didn't have what I was looking for at all and I just so happened to have a coupon for Hobby Lobby. So, It worked out well. I honestly cannot remember if I bought the navy blue I used in the pleat, or if I already had it. oops.
From there I spread the fabrics across my dining room table and followed the instructions from the tutorials listed above! Sewing was a bit interesting, figuring out the hems and how to make the pleat work perfectly. I'll admit I probably "just went with it" and did my own thing to get it figured out. I'm no master seamstress, not even close lol After making sure everything would fit, I added my ribbons to tie the skirt onto the mattress thingy!




Although I heard it was pretty easy to make a crib skirt, my lazy ended up setting in. I searched high and low, and high again for this specific color green sheet. I'm talkin, I went everywhere AND searched the internet. Where did I end up finding it? Target. And it was only $10! Not to mention it was a soft jersey rather than a boring flat sheet. 
I used some of the left over navy fabric for a name pillow that I wish I could show you, but you'll just have to wait on that one. I promise it will be worth it!

I had to order the mesh bumpers because no one had the color I wanted in stock! As for the little yellow bows, I intend to attach them to the bumper at some point. I had the front panel in at the time of the photo purely for aesthetic purposes. I later removed it until we lower the mattress to a level more suitable for it's use. Either way, I feel like it added another bright pop of color and looks just darn cute.

I wasn't really big on the idea of a crib mobile, but I knew I did want a changing table mobile! I mean isn't the point of the crib to be slept in? I feel like a mobile is more like a distraction for baby to gawk at. I've seen a lot of changing stations with a mirror on the wall behind it to sort of distract baby while the diaper change is happening. So I got to thinking. I really wanted something to do with airplanes in the nursery without it being so big it becomes like a theme. I gathered my inspiration from here and paid a whole 99 cents for the airplane shape from HERE. Although it was originally for a banner, I just changed some things around and created a mobile with it!
I scored and folded two airplanes in half then matched and glued them together with a piece of clear fishing line sticking out between the wings. I matched and placed the third airplane cut flat onto the other two (you'll have to click the link where I purchased the shape to see photos of how this is done). To attach the propeller, I used a small straight pin to poke a hole through the center of the propeller and hot glued it into the front where the three airplane cut outs meet up. I had purchased some mirror pieces to stick onto the flat bottoms of the plane for a little extra baby distraction. I attached all of the planes to an extra hoop I had from the hoop wall art behind the crib. I originally painted it red. To make clouds, I used some fiber stuffing (like what you put in pillows). I had read an article about how you could pinch off however much you wanted, roll it around in your hands and hairspray it to hold it together. SO thats exactly what I did, as well as hot glue the fishing line into it. To attach the mobile to the bar in the closet, I used some extra ribbon I had and attached it to the hoop and then brought it together at the top with a tiny binder ring so I could easily move it.
I ended up hating how the red looked with the yellow, so I wrapped the hoop in light blue yarn lol 

And now I guess it's okay. 



Only one more installment left for my DIY Nursery! Check back next Wednesday to see my last two big pieces that might just be my favorites!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE what you have done! That mobile is to die for! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! My husband says they look like sharks, yikes. Atleast I tried haha

      Delete