Wednesday, April 8, 2015

DIY Nursery, part I

I should be expecting my son in about a month and I finished his nursery just days ago. Usually I would be chomping at the bit share how amazing it is but because we are keeping his name a secret, I will not be doing a full reveal until after his birth. What I will do in the meantime is share pieces and parts of it! His nursery has no specific theme aside from primary colors. I wanted my little man to have lots of bold colors to help with color vision development. Since we are in a rental home, we chose not to bother with painting the walls. This really gave me a lot of creative liberty when it came to decorations!
His room used to be our guest bedroom and is still going to have to house the full size bed along with all of his things. Luckily the bed will come in handy!
The vast majority of the nursery is DIY projects. No, I didn't make the crib or the changing table but here's a list of things I did make:

  • gallery wall
  • crib skirt and pillow
  • re purposed lamp and shade
  • changing table mobile
  • other wall decorations
Today I will share the gallery wall and one of the other wall decorations. Pinterest was my best friend for these!
For the gallery wall, I purchased an array of picture frames from Dollar Tree. I like to have a handful most of the time anyway since creativity tends to strike randomly. You should be able to find most of the printables I used HERE, but if you see one you like and cannot find it, let me know and I can send you the file I have saved! Within the free printables I included an ultrasound photo from 11weeks 5 days and I also framed the photo we used to announce our pregnancy. I spent entirely too much time trying to figure out how I wanted to hang everything. I arranged them on the floor multiple times, then of course I added more and changed some out. I just love being indecisive!
I ended up taking some scrap paper and cutting up some magazine pages to match the sizes of the frames and using some painters tape to "hang" them on the wall. I moved them around until they were just right and then began hanging the actual frames. I only managed to break one because I missed the nail when I let go and it crashed to the floor UGH. Thank goodness for extras! 

This actually ended up being the very first decorations for the nursery and the "E" was first gender specific purchase for baby! I found my inspiration HERE. I purchased the "E" and the hoops from Hobby Lobby. The fabric came from my rather large stash in mu craft room. 
The E was originally just brown, so I had my husband spruce it up with some red spray paint. I did secure the fabric in the hoops with some fabric glue and trimmed the edges. 
One last terrible image haha but to give you a better idea of how it looks (before I decorated the rest of the nursery).

**I'm sorry the quality of the photos totally blows, but I PROMISE when I do my full reveal it will be with fabulous, quality photos!**

No comments:

Post a Comment