Monday, August 17, 2015

My Brother Jackson

Just days ago my brother, Jackson, got to meet baby Eli for the first time. He has been living in Fairbanks, Alaska for quite a few years now (thanks to the Army).  Jackson isn't just any brother, though.

Jackson used to be Jennifer. He is my half brother (my adoptive father's first child). He came to live with us when I was in like second grade, I think. We essentially hated each other until he was a senior in high school (I was in 6th grade). Then our relationship blossomed. We became incredibly close juuuust in time for him to leave for the Army. In the time he was away we kept our relationship as best we could. Once I was in high school we were closer than ever.
I had always known Jackson was a little different. Growing up he always hated 'girly' clothes and did everything he could to hide his breasts. He was a tomboy, but so was I. Jackson was a little different though, it was obvious (to me anyway). So in December when we were both together for the first time in years (for a funeral) and he told me he was going to be transitioning I was less than surprised. Honestly I think he was more surprised that I wasn't lol
Now that he's all done with the Army, he has begun his transition. In December he is scheduled for chest surgery. I know this surgery will mean so much to him! In the mean time he's on testosterone injections.
Now....our dad is true southern. This wasn't the easiest news for him but he seemed to take it okay and is doing better with it now. What sucks is that he deals with 'touchy' subjects with humor. Except his humor is more offensive than funny. While Jackson is waiting to begin school in New Zealand he's staying back home with dad. Luckily that's only 3 hours from me so I get lots of visits!! And he gets to escape dad when things become too much.
Although this wasn't something that surprised or shocked me it is still a big change. I want to be as respectful as possible but getting used to these 'new' pronouns and labels is kind of tough- only because I am so used to saying 'her' and 'sister.'

But I am proud to (finally) say I have a brother that is already an amazing uncle to Eli. I love you so much Jackson and I've learned so much about the world from you.
























No comments:

Post a Comment